North Toronto Layout Overview

I promised in my last posting to post some pictures of the recent progress on my layout. At this point, I've given most of the layout a basic coat of scenery, with the exception of a few of the team tracks themselves. Also, I have yet to build the brick warehouse/office type building that will inhabit one end of the layout. At this point, though, it seems that it may be a while before any more progress occurs, due to circumstances beyond my control.

Anyway, the scenery that I have completed was mostly finished this August, but I haven't got around to posting until now. I may end up redoing part of the scenery, as I've found vintage aerial photographs of the area from the period I'm modelling, which show the CP main much closer to the team tracks than I originally thought. These photos come from the excellent City of Toronto Archives online collection which I've recently become aware of - providing a fun way to spend a few evenings. 


The whole layout, in its current state.


Grade crossing of two of the team tracks. The track on the far right leads to Canada Builders Supply (not modelled), and in reality stub ends at the side of the layout. I have the points of the switch that leads to said track tacked in place so that no one (i.e. myself) can accidentally send a car or locomotive into the abyss.


Boarded up storage shed at one end of the layout.


#7020 sits waiting for operations to recommence, sitting roughly where the various tracks split from each other to form the two sides of the yard.


Team Track area.


I rather liked how this photo turned out, in my opinion. The deficiencies of my backdrop  (or rather, lack thereof) are rather glaring, though. 


Further up the tracks, looking at the driveway into the team tracks. The roads are made from drywall repair compound (or something like that, though I'm not entirely sure what it is, exactly).


One half of the layout.


Same thing, only from a higher angle.


CP storage shed, with the team tracks at the other end of the layout from the camera. 


The other half of the layout - more complete than the team track part.


Team tracks and freight car to truck transfer area.


While I was editing the above photos, my cat, Tofu, came up and tried to help me with the task, so I grabbed a quick picture of her. I'd write more about the layout, but at the moment I can only type with one hand, so I'll leave this post at that.

Comments

  1. Hi Sam,
    Yes, indeed, awesomely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you shared a link referencing the City of Toronto Archives but thought I'd share a specific link related to these archives. The link in this comment is for a collection of digitized aerial photos of Toronto from the late 40s through to about the 90s. I look forward to seeing this develop as Toronto isn't too far from me in Brampton plus Toronto seems to be rarely modeled even here in Canada accountability-operations-customer-service/access-city-information-or-records/city-of-toronto-archives/whats-online/maps/aerial-phot

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s been nearly a year Sam. Anything to report?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment